Friday, September 26, 2014

Matthew McConaughey and Glasgow, Montana

Friday, September 26, 2014


A few months ago, before I ventured back to Glasgow, Montana, my girlfriend advised me that I should not go back because all that would be there would be ghosts.  She told me about this motivational speaker who advised that one's life should be conducted the way one drives a car.  One should pay the most attention to the road ahead that is visible through the big window in front of the driving wheel and that one should only occasionally check the rear view mirror just for short safety measures.  To spend one's life focused on the past is akin to attempting to drive forward while focusing on the rear view mirror.  It is a recipe for disaster. 

I thought about what my girlfriend said for many days before finally going back to Glasgow.  Ultimately, after a fifty year hiatus, I did go back and, in the process of doing so, I learned a few things about myself that could only be found by returning to the memories of what once was, but is no more.

I will have more to say about that later, but to my surprise, I found the best way to frame my feelings about my return to Glasgow was most recently enunciated by that suddenly profound actor Matthew McConaughey and what has become a rather talked about (and ridiculed) commercial. You can find the commercial at 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcGhLcVqxf0

After viewing the commercial, I wonder what you might think about "going back" in order to find the way ahead.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Peace.

P.S. The weekend is on its way and, for some, religious services may be on the itinerary.  If so, kindly say a prayer or have kind thoughts for our friends and classmates and their loved ones who may be experiencing health concerns or concerns of the heart.  Thank you all and, please also remember, be kind to yourselves.    

No comments:

Post a Comment