Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Lincoln and Thaddeus Stevens

Last night, I took my girlfriend to see the movie "Lincoln." Coming from another country, my girlfriend is not very familiar with certain aspects of American history. Indeed, some of our more engaging conversations have been about some of the more "illusionary" depictions made in her favorite American film "Gone With the Wind". Thanks to Oprah's interview of Steven Spielberg, my girlfriend became fascinated with the concept behind the film "Lincoln" and so last night we went and saw it.
"Lincoln" is a sober, serious film and the acting performances turned in by Daniel Day Lewis, as Lincoln, and Sally Field, as Mary Todd Lincoln, are remarkable. I strongly recommend that people see the film, if for no other reason than to remind ourselves of the terrible sacrifices made by so many to make this country what it is today. The full characterization of the iconic Lincoln is rather thought provoking and demonstrates the complexity of the man and of the times.
For me, the highlight of the movie was the performance by Tommy Lee Jones, as Thaddeus Stevens. I was unaware of the role of Thaddeus Stevens during the Civil War Congress and the struggle to pass the Thirteenth Amendment. This movie highlights the role and brought Thaddeus Stevens to life. You can find out more about Thaddeus Stevens at
Tommy Lee Jones has come a long way since first appearing in Love Story in 1970. He has long been one of my favorite actors and this role as Thaddeus Stevens shows why.

No comments:

Post a Comment