Friday, December 14, 2012

The Central Park Five

Back in the early 1970s, Hampshire College was a brand new academic institution with few amenities. It was not uncommon to see some Hampshire College students attending classes at Amherst and dining at Valentine Hall. After becoming acquainted with the various dining hall table cliques, I noticed that there would occasionally be an unfamiliar student with a sort of Beatles style hair cut sitting at the table with those who were what I would call the more "artistically inclined". I inquired as to who he was and was informed that he was a student from Hampshire College.
For some reason the image of this unfamiliar student stayed in my mind because 20 years later I saw him on television talking about his upcoming epic documentary on the Civil War. It was then that I knew that the Hampshire College student was Ken Burns and the rest of his story most of you already know.
The latest documentary from the Hampshire College alum is now in many of the more artsy theaters across the country. While it may not be the perfect Holiday movie fare, you may want to view it since it touches on many of the subjects that we have discussed this past year. The movie is entitled "The Central Park Five" and I for one shall endeavor to view it sometime next week. I hope you do the same.
Peace,
Everett Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment