Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Exorcist

Today is Halloween, a night when children everywhere delight in things scary and macabre. As I do during my "musings", I find myself reflecting as to what was the scariest and most macabre happening in my experience. Ultimately I find myself coming back to my reading the book The Exorcist and my subsequent seeing of the movie. When the book came out in 1971, it was a bestseller and I, like many others, decided to read it. Once I began, I could not put it down and as the night grew darker and darker in my James Hall dorm room, it seemed as though the odors associated with the evil began to permeate the room. Reading The Exorcist was the scariest reading experience of my life. I still have that book, but I keep it segregated from the rest of my books because I still think there is something evil about it.
When the movie came out two years later in 1973, it scared the BeeJesus out of me. I have not been to a horror film since.

I am wondering, what is the scariest book you have read or the scariest movie? And why?

No comments:

Post a Comment