Friday, October 18, 2013

Zoom

In 1977 I made a major investment in the latest technological fad that I felt was certain to bolster my social life. I went down to an electronics store just off of University Avenue in Berkeley and plucked down $120 on an eight track tape player. As I recall, I also soon bought an eight track tape of the latest hot r&b group... a group called the Commodores. Now the eight track Commodores tape had a number of "hip" r&b tracks on it, but the song that attracted me the most was a song entitled "Zoom". You can hear it at


Truth be told, my social life did not greatly improve by my purchase of the eight track tape player. Indeed, the only eight track tape that I can clearly recall ever purchasing was that eight track tape by the Commodores. I think we all soon found the regular cassette tapes to still be the most economical and compact means of listening to music. Nevertheless, I still fondly remember that eight track player because at that time "Zoom" became almost an anthem for me.

The lead singer on the Commodores "Zoom" soon made some other hit ballads while with the Commodores. I enjoyed listening to many of them but did not pay too much attention until the lead singer left the Commodores and began his solo career. This new venture happened to coincide with the emergence of music videos and one of the first music videos that rather intrigued me was the music video for the former Commodores lead singer's signature song entitled "Hello". That video can be found at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDZcqBgCS74

The "Hello" video intrigued me not just because it was a beautiful video with a beautiful song, but also because the beautiful woman who portrays the muse for the singer in the video happens to be a fellow Amherst graduate, Laura Carrington, Class of 1980.

I mention all this because a few hours ago, I watched Lionel Richie, the former lead singer for the Commodores and the singer/songwriter of "Hello" perform this song in San Jose and he mentioned that whenever he performs it around the world, invariably, the audiences know the song. Indeed, in reading about the song, it appears to have become one of his signature songs.  However, I must confess, he has so many and for two solid hours he performed them magnificently. Along with an Earth, Wind & Fire concert I attended in 2007, this ranks as the best concert I have ever attended. At 64, Lionel Richie can still put on quite a show. And most fitting of all is the song that he chose as his encore. Some of you may recall it and why it's message so resonated around the world. However, for those of you who do not so remember, well, I hope you will reflect and enjoy.

 

    There comes a time when we heed a certain call

When the world must come together as one.
There are people dying and it's time to lend a hand
To life - the greatest gift of all.

We can't go on pretending day by day
That someone somewhere will soon make a change.
We are all a part of God's great big family

And the truth
You know
Love is all we need.

We are the world
We are the children

We are the ones who make a brighter day

So let's start giving.
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives.
It's true
We'll make a better day
Just you and me.

Well
Send them your heart

So they'll know that someone cares

And their lives will be stronger and free.
As God has shown us by turning stone to bread

And so we all must lend a helping hand.
We are the world

We are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So lets start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we make a brighter day
Just you and me...

No comments:

Post a Comment