Friday, December 19, 2014

Gaza in America

Friday, December 19, 2014

I suppose it is my background, but I have long been troubled by the things that seem to keep us apart.  Race is obviously one of the things that separate us.  Religion is another.  In my professional life, I have observed that training and education are the keys to addressing the race issue. And, in the 33 years of my professional career, I have also observed that the need for training and education never ends.  Based on my professional experiences, I would love to see ethnic studies be incorporated into the curriculum of every school at every level.  Likewise, in recognition of the growing religious diversity in this country, it probably would be a good idea to begin a comparative religion regimen as well.  Being a realist, I know that my academic desires are not likely to ever be met. Today, I am told that there is not any room for a high school civics classes, let alone a class on ethnic studies or comparative religions.  

But, on the other hand, if there is no effort made to understand each other, how can we really peacefully co-exist?  Today, there is a Ferguson, Missouri.  Will there be a Gaza in America tomorrow?

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment