Monday, December 1, 2014

Happy Homecoming Day

Monday, December 1, 2014

In 1964, my family returned to our pink house in Victorville, California, after spending two years in El Paso, Texas, and another two years in Glasgow, Montana.  Soon after our return to Victorville, my Dad shipped out for a two year stay in Germany, leaving my Mom in Victorville with five kids.  That year back in Victorville was a particularly hard time.  Money was short and social adjustments were difficult.  This time of year, Christmastime, was particularly difficult. Mom was very stoic about all that was going on.  Aside from once threatening to move us all to Bakersfield to pick cotton, she managed to scrape enough money together to get us through.  However, what I remember so well from the time, was Mom playing Charles Brown's Christmas Album over and over again.  I especially remember this tune:


Thinking back on the Christmastime of a half century ago, I can now surmise that Mom may not have been as composed as I may have thought.  I suppose, upon reflection, even our vaunted parents had their frailties ... just as today, we, as parents, have ours.

If any of you have a favorite Song of the Season, please feel free to share it with us and tell us why.  

Peace.

P. S. Happy Homecoming Day, Mom.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment