Monday, December 1, 2014

Travel Photos and Bora Bora

Monday, December 1, 2014

Someone  asked me to share photos of my trip.  I think my girlfriend and I must have taken a thousand snapshots on our cellphones during our trip.  I am currently in discussion with my IT Department (aka my kids) as to how best to transfer the photos to the internet.  However, while the IT Department is taking this under consideration, I think the following will give some idea as to the beauty that we experienced at our first true destination.

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=bora+bora+photos

One of my favorite authors is James Michener and he quite aptly proclaimed Bora Bora to be the most beautiful island in the world.  It is also, in his book Hawaii, the land of origin for the native Hawaiians that exist today.  For me, going to Bora Bora was not simply to enjoy the beautiful scenery.  It was also to experience the land that served as motivation for the man who wrote not only Hawaii but also Tales of the South Pacific, Sayonara, and The Bridges at Toko-ri.


Thus, an hour after arriving a Papeete, Tahiti, we boarded another plane to Bora Bora.  And after a few hours of rest at our bungalow, I arranged to have a local take us on a tour of Bora Bora.  I shall discuss the tour later, but for now I would like to point out one interesting aspect of the following Wikipedia article on Bora Bora. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bora_Bora

In the article, we learn:

In World War II the United States chose Bora Bora as a South Pacific military supply base, and an oil depot, airstrip, seaplane base, and defensive fortifications were constructed. Known as "Operation Bobcat", it maintained a supply force of nine ships, 20,000 tons of equipment and nearly 7,000 men. Seven artillery guns were set up at strategic points around the island to protect it against potential military attack.
However, the island saw no combat as the American presence on Bora Bora went uncontested over the course of the war. The base was officially closed on June 2, 1946. Only one former US serviceman, Fred Giles, returned to the island. The World War II airstrip, which was never able to accommodate large aircraft, was French Polynesia's only international airport until Faa'a International Airport was opened in Papeete, Tahiti, in 1960.
***
What struck me as being odd was the statement "Only one former US serviceman, Fred Giles, returned to the island." As I later learned, this is a sore point for many Bora Borans because, with 7,000 service men being the red blooded Americans that they were, there were relationships that arose with the Bora Boran women.  It is reported that over 150 babies were born during the World War II years that were attributable to the servicemen stationed on Bora Bora.  Of these 150 or so babies, a third of them died.   I am not certain as to all the circumstances behind such a large number of infant deaths, but it obviously made an impression on the Bora Borans and is certainly a dubious legacy for the American military.  Thus, the notation that "only one former US serviceman... returned to the island", if true, is one that I find to be sad.
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment